Tuesday 16 August 2011

Community Inspiration Centre

We opened the Community Inspiration Centre in Woodford, SE Queensland on May 29th 2011.

It began as an idea on January 1st this year.... actually it began as a germ of an idea a long time ago.... but this particular incarnation started in January 2011.

I decided I wanted to open a LETS (Local Exchange Trading System) shop!!!  I emailed my contact list asking if anyone knew of a venue we could rent for LETS (or cheap $)... I got a few replies.... one in Forest Glen that turned out to be entirely unsuitable.... one in Maleny which was always a possibility and another in Maleny that still is...... but although the Maleny ones were distinct possibilities the energy wasn't flowing to them at the time.  I kept coming up against brick walls....

I had been attracted to Woodford in 2010 and had hired the Bush House (an old church and church hall - now available for hire) on occasion and been involved there several times.  The Bush House are members of LETS so it had definitely gone through my mind that I could set a shop up there..... but I kept dismissing the idea as both of the halls were too large and quite unsuitable for what I had in mind.

Then one day towards the end of January I was speaking to Deb (one of the committee members at the time) and telling her my idea and she took me by the hand (figuratively) and took me down and showed me the space they called the old Child Care space...

Oh My Goodness!!!! It was perfect!!!!

It then took several months to get insurances etc set up which was perfect as Gary and I were able to start working on the space and turning it into what it is today.

We opened officially at the beginning of June this year - our social objectives were/are to:-
                    - educate and raise awareness of LETS/CES and how to increase abundance and prosperity without the need for extra money...
                   - create a space where people can come and connect more deeply with themselves, each other, the community and the environment that they live in.
                   - inspire people to create

We've been open a little more than 2 months and I am thrilled to say that our social objectives have been/are being met already!!! 

In order to be sustainable at this stage we need a little $ income so are also trading at this stage with non-LETS members.  My dream is to be able to change that!!!  I would REALLY like to see the Inspiration Centre trading in LETS/CES only.... we are a considerable way from that.... and maybe it's a pipedream.... who knows!!!

We are a social enterprise in that we use a business model to create the necessary income to fund the social objectives.  That I've been told makes me a 'social entrepreneur'.... which I figure is a fancy way of saying ... someone who gives a damn about social outcomes and who is willing to put their own time, energy and money into creating it.... in the hope that it will become sustainable - both energetically and financially ($ and LETS).

We have a coffee shop, a book exchange, a range of Simple Living products - laundry gel, laundry powder and hopefully in 3 - 4 weeks, soap!!! A selection of recycled clothes, a selection of upcycled clothes and goods and lots of other bits and pieces - inspiring fridge magnets, humorous greeting cards, a beautiful range of rainsticks, jewellery, Nepalese handknitted socks, handbags etc etc etc.

We're the only stockist in Woodford of Kingaroy Kitchen biscuits!!!!  These are amazing bikkies.... firstly they are made to raise funds for the Endeavour Foundation, so by me purchasing them wholesale we are already contributing.... when you buy them from us the money we make on them goes to help sustain our Centre and THE BEST BIT... the ingredients list on these biscuits read like one of Grandma's old-fashioned recipes - there is not a single number or unpronouncable word in the ingredients.... just plain old-fashioned FOOD!!!!!

We've also just started stocking "Thank You" water..... bottles of water that when you purchase them from us you help to fund clean water projects in countries that currently have unreliable fresh drinking water.

There is so much more to us than what I have just mentioned.... we're open Wed, Thurs and Fri 9am to 3pm and Sundays 10am to 2pm.... OR When The Flags fly!!!!! so pop on in and say Hi!!!!

Stay tuned for info about the Community Garden that came about at the same time as we set up!!!!!

Cherie

1 comment:

Shivanii said...

Maybe I could give a presentation there at the centre, to share the photos and stories of Prabhat Alloi Inc's work with villages in India! What do you think? Let's talk about it!! with love, you awesome woman!! from Shivanii